Tuesday, March 23, 2010

More BB9 Sleuthing



I've been clicking through the BB9 Conference Platform intermittently: I think I SEE a pattern, an organization of units. Check me out on this: if the course developer creates an instructional module or learning unit--say instruction on writing summaries, in BB8, what has been a folder containing several items with links to other BB compartments such as the Discussion Board or Group Pages is now organized in ONE self-contained module. Or rather, through a developer's menu choices, the instructor clicks to create connected units BELOW the main instructional module.

Continuing with the example of an instructional unit on Summary: First there is the main instructional unit. But then the developer can create--just below this unit--a File Exchange space for students to upload their summary samples. Beneath this she can create a Discussion Board where students can review and give feedback on the summaries submitted. This is the ideal model fostered by BB9 allowing the student to remain in ONE LOCATION to accomplish the SEVERAL TASKS & ACTIVITIES related to the target assignment.

However, when I exported the organization of an English 111 course from BB8 to BB9, the former BB8 was preserved--but it did not take advantage of the organizational opportunities the newer model affords.

I can see that to re-organize the material from BB8 to BB9 is a long and arduous task in a 16 Week Platform that contains 16 learning modules connected to Discussion Boards and Group Pages. How to manage this workload? A developer could for the present remain satisfied with the less-than-desired old organization transferred to the new--but incrementally would re-develop one course at a time in development space--even as the BB9 courses are actively being instructed.

Any thoughts? You see this ole' owl face is worrying, worrying, worrying. . . .

1 comment:

  1. I agree that it seems a little daunting right now! I think I'm going to have a busy summer working to convert my BB8 sites to BB9. I do like some of the new features that I've seen, but navigation seems more complicated. That's probably just unfamiliarity though.

    ReplyDelete